If you have been to London Osteopathic Care, you have probably heard me go on about turmeric and curcumin for inflammatory problems! Originally known as Vedic medicine, I have been eating turmeric in my food since I could eat solids. It is a natural “go to” when cooking Indian food. I don’t’t know of a dish my mum wouldn’t put it in!
Coming away from my mum’s household cooking to studying the scientific benefits of having this golden powder of turmeric and curcumin! Firstly, it is an acquired taste to have as shot. You get used it after the third (well I did, but I was bought up with it). Secondly there are too many benefits not to have it!
The natural benefits include:
- Enormously powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant! Thus helps with arthritis and in some cases better than anti-inflammatory drugs
- Increases antioxidant capacity
- Curcumin has been studied to be a herb in cancer treatment and been found to affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level.
- Curcumin boosts a neurotrophic factor in the brain, which helps you learn and remember!
- It is known that inflammation and oxidative damage play a role in Alzheimer’s disease, and curcumin has beneficial effects on both these processes. This means it could have preventive effects to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Curcumin can boost serotonin (anti-depressant) and dopamine (“feel good” hormone), which could indicate that it could fight off depression!
- Given the oxidation and inflammation role in aging, curcumin may go a long way in prevention of degenerative disease.
Why not make your own Vitality Shot?
- Half a large Orange or Coconut water/ Carrot juice if you suffer from reflux
- Flat tea spoon of turmeric
- A sprinkle of black pepper
- 2 tea spoons of lemon
- Mix it up and have as a morning shot before breakfast
Play around with ingredients till you find your happy medium! Do remember that black pepper makes turmeric 2000% more effective, thus making a super-food! Black pepper boosts Turmeric’s super anti-inflammatory and antioxidant power! This does not mean you need lots of it, a sprinkle will do. Enjoy your shot making morning!
All the best, much love!
Kam Panesar & London Osteopathic Care